Are you feeling overwhelmed by all the fad diets going on? You’re not alone, but hopefully at the end of this article and using my simple tips, you will feel inspired and motivated to move to healthier eating habits. Eating healthier and more refined will improve your mood, you’ll have more energy, and you’ll overall feel great-not to mention your skin will glow! Eating the wrongs foods can drive ADHD, depression, and anxiety into high gear. You can feel bloated and uncomfortable.
This past summer I unfortunately broke my ankle-that combined with the annual Regatta season-my healthy lifestyle went out the window. I know, I couldn’t help it, but as my ankle is getting stronger I’m not feeling the greatest emotionally and mentally, and it’s because of my lack of nutrients I was feeding my body. This was very apparent in a recent day in a restaurant I worked in, being a chef you have to think quick and move even faster.
So with these little adjustments, I’ve already started seeing change for the better:
- Drink more water: add a slice of lemon for a refreshing twist
- Fill up on colorful vegetables and fruit: the more green, the better! Kale is all the rage right now, and consider sticking it on your smoothies!
- Moderation: a big bowl of pasta is tempting in the chilly weather (you should only be have about a fistful)–but switch that pasta for one courgette and make courgetti!
- Cutting back on white flour and white sugar (be keep refined sugars to a minimum): these are two huge bloating machines
- Avoid unhealthy fats and enjoy more of those healthy fats: replace those chunky oven chips with sweet potato chips!
- Replace butter with olive oil or coconut oil- there’s only a subtle flavor to coconut oil so don’t be scared!
- Avoid processed foods and foods high in sodium: it’s so easy to re-create your favorite take-away meal but with a healthier twist and you’ll feel better knowing what actually goes into your body
- Take your time chewing and don’t rush!
**For easy and delicious healthy recipe ideas, view my recipes under ‘Saintly’ at cookinwithcarmel.com! And be sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter as CookinwithCarmel for more kitchen inspiration!